CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Oh, Happy Father's Day, Poppa!!!

Well...where to begin? It seems that nothing and everything of importance have happened in the week since I last posted.


I thought that my schedule would be about the same from week to week- wrong. It is generally the same, but mostly flexible! We teach English classes on Tuesday and Wednesday and have English Hour at the university on Thursday and Friday. But there always seems to be something changing. It is good for me, it must be!

Teaching has been quite a challenge for me. I have never considered myself a teacher...I think I made my friend cry once while trying to teach her to knit. But I know that teaching English is necessary these days, and is a door wide open to the rest of the world and into the lives of countless students. Therefore, I will teach English to the best of my ability with a willing and joyful spirit!

My students are wonderful...it must be cliche to say this, but difficult as it is to teach, the students make it all worth the while. My class consists of 3 pre-intermediate students (and the level is a very rough gauge, for some are better than others). They are just great and I really love getting to know each of them. They help me to taste new things every week too!

We are trying to have a Bible study on campus in English, as Dennis says in a thick southern accent," We are just casting different kinds of bait to see what works." Well, no fish bit on Thursday...hopefully next, or the following! Instead we talked with the one of the ladies we have been working closely with. It was really great to hear her heart, past, and vision for the future.

Yesterday we went to JJ Market...probably the biggest market ever! We were there for about 3 hours and we only saw a small fraction of it. And I thought America was overrun with consumerism! I got some sassy souvenirs for some sassy ladies I know, saw a skirt that I bought in America, had a great mango smoothie, and fried chicken skin. It was a fun day.

I wish I could tell each of you how this trip has been impacting my heart, hopefully we will be able to talk about it in person because I am just so excited. So, maybe instead of telling you here some of these pictures will help.

"For great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised; he is to be feared above all gods. For all the gods of the peoples are worthless idols, but the LORD made the heavens." Ps. 96: 4-5.

Love and Peace.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

flexibility! aaraugh! So necessary. Your excitement about what you're doing comes through loud and clear! Luv, Mum