CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 6, 2009

Adventures in Thailand!

What a weekend! What a month!

Yesterday afternoon we made it safely back to our humble Bangkok abode from a whirlwind weekend in Chiang Mai. We flew up north Thursday night and drove back on Monday. While there we got to do so much, I feel so blessed! So, here's the run down of our excitement!

Thursday night at around 10pm the boys took us on a scooter ride around town...no, they don't have a license or anything. But I won for looking the dorkiest in the helmet.

Friday I got to meet up with Sarah- what a small world. She goes to my church at home and was working with the team in C.M. Then we hung out with the team doing their usual- teaching, partying, etc. It was fun to see their routine! THEN Friday night we went to Ryan's Muay Thai boxing fight. It was straight out of the movies, weird lighting, run-down arena, betting, weird music...Ryan won in the first round (there are usually five) when he fought a trainer and long-time boxer. Whoa.

Saturday... one of the best days- EVER! We drove about 1 1/2 hours to ride elephants. The weather was perfect, not to hot and overcast.


After the elephant adventure, we drove about 20 minutes further and went white water rafting. That's right. White water rafting, in Thailand! I don't have any pictures of this for obvious reasons. But I think it must be my new favorite thing to do. I was in a raft with April, Elaina and our skipper, King Kong. We felt as though we were in good hands with a name like that. And he called us "his girls"; therefore, we are now "King Kong's Girls". We learned the 5 commands quickly: Forward, Backward, Move Right, Move Left, and of course, GET DOWN! Now that is my kind of playing!

After all of this we went to a 4th of July party hosted by the consulate. Nothing too exciting, but I ate subway and ice cream and watched fireworks.

Sunday we went to church and then ate dinner at an amazing Italian restaurant followed by some shopping at the night bazaar. I bought all 5 seasons of The Office!

Then bright and early Monday we drove back to Bangkok. It was such a fun weekend and great to be with the rest of the team, but I am glad to be back here.

Being in C.M. with a big group really made me appreciate my situation. I knew I was getting a different experience than the rest of them not only because of the location, setting, but also because of working only with April. I think it has given me a much more realistic view of what cross-cultural work will be like in the future. Also, I haven't had to worry about all the dynamics of working with many other people- God has been so good to let April and me work well and happily together! Needless to say, I am abundantly thankful for my experience in Bangkok. I think it is just what I needed. HE knows what is best for each of us!

This is our last week of English classes. A team from Alabama is coming in to help with English camp next weekend so our schedule will change yet again. Next weekend is English camp...so we get to go to the beach- AGAIN! Hey, someone's gotta do it;)

So, with 5 weeks down and only 2 to go, I have much to look forward to and much to process. I trust that I will have guidance in processing all that I need to and that all that has happened will not be without fruit. For that I am excited, grateful and humbled.

Thank you all for your continued prayers and support during my time here. I know that your support has made so much of my experience possible.

In HIS Grace.

0 comments: