CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Sacrifices I Make...

2 and a 1/2 weeks down, not enough to go.
I have had quite an eventful few days! Hopefully this gives you an idea of what I am doing here in Thailand, but don't get the wrong idea...we are doing a lot of work teaching English:

Monday: floating market! About a 2 hour drive away, but don't ask me where it is. We took a boat tour and didn't buy anything- very economical and beautiful!

There are Wats at almost every turn in Thailand. Here is one on the river. There is also an elementary school on the grounds- we stopped and looked around.

I am not sure if it is appropriate to take pictures of monks or not, but I think there are some things you can get away with when you are a "ferang" or "white foreigner".Tuesday: now our designated "hang-out with students day". So we went over to the university and met up with some of our students and "helped them with their English homework". This turned into some fun conversation and meaningful sharing. One girl is very close to making a decision for Christ and was asking me some important questions. We talked about reading the Word for understanding, direction and a deeper relationship with the Lord, baptism and other things along those lines. It was a joy to share with her and hear from her!

Thursday: weekly English Hour at the main university campus. The second time around was better than the first! Then dinner with the students after. I don't know what I ate. But it was good. Same story as always!

Friday: what a busy day!!! First we went to the freshman campus (yes, they have their own campus) and did our first English Hour there. This will be weekly. We had about 10 students! I taught pro-nouns- "you" is hard to explain. Then we went to the church and taught our first real English class. Man-o! I had 3 students and they were roughly pre-intermediate. What a learning experience...for me. These classes will be twice a week.

Saturday: what a day!!! April and I were summoned to the beach. What a chore. There is another missionary working with slum neighborhoods who needed our help for "family fun day at the beach". They needed extra hands for the 30+ kids. So, we did our duty and went to the beach.



Needless to say, we were exhausted after a long day after the beach- but it was so worth it!

Today (Sunday) after church, Kris took us to a mall and we got foot spas- yet another hardship of cross-cultural work in Thailand. It was an awesome thing!

Sorry this is so long, but I hope this gives you a taste of my life in Thailand!
Love to all of you reading this, I am glad you are sharing in my joy by reading along!

In His grace.

4 comments:

Emily said...

You're awesome, Abby! Great photos and I look forward to seeing and hearing more from you! Keep up the great work you're doing! Love ya!

Alesha Ebeling said...

Beautiful pictures and stories! Stay strong and keep on having fun =)

Elaina said...

Haha Don't feel bad about the monks...remember that Ruthy asked a monk if she could take his picture. :)
Prayers sent your way daily!

Unknown said...

Love your report and pics! You've got a knack for composition! I'm afraid I'm going to "lose you" to the Far East!
Hugs, Mum