CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Surprise, Surprise: I Post Again!

So, I was not expecting to be able to post again so soon- not only was I not anticipating having time, but I was not anticipating having much to write about. But I do!


As I mentioned in the previous post, we spent Monday at the freshman campus advertising the English Hour we will help facilitate. During this time we met A LOT of new students and got to know some of the student leaders of the group. Most of these students are new believers and are very involved with the group, the church and relationship with one another.

Tuesday, we moved into our apartment- now would be the time to post pictures, but I haven't taken any yet. It is at the top of some offices of the people we are working with, the 5th floor, to be exact. It was recently turned into an apartment with one main living space that has our beds, closet, fridge and desks. Through the sliding door is a tiny bathroom and a little kitchen- all perfectly serving our needs.

We have also gotten the run-down on what we will be doing. English Hour is run both through the university and through the church. It meets at the upper-classmen campus on Thursdays, and the freshman campus on Fridays for two hours each. After each "hour" we eat and hang-out with the students, which is a really fun time! They love to get us to try new foods and watch us intently to see if it is too spicy...tonight it was! I am sure that we will be doing more on the other days of the week, but we have not gotten into a schedule yet, something I am looking forward to!


(Some views of the main campus- I didn't take them!)

There are a few students, the leadership team, that we have gotten to be friends with already....and it has not even been a week! They all speak pretty advanced English and are SO much fun to be with. I am really impressed with how friendly most Thais seem to be and how quickly they make friends. I am confident that solid relationships will form and that they will be not only earthly beneficially but eternally as well.

Maybe I am setting unrealistic expectations for any future cross-cultural work, but things have been so very smooth for us these past few days; for that I am grateful. As of yet I have not experienced any unpleasant culture shock, or serious homesickness (sorry Mom & Poppa!). I just tell myself that I am living in the honey-moon time of cross-cultural living and that if I were to stay longer I would experience these things. Maybe someday. But for now I like being on a honey-moon!

0 comments: